Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Birthday Request: Banana Cream Pie Cupcake

As a request from the birthday girl, this banana cream cupcake is semi homemade but more than semi delicious.  Had really no idea how this would come out as I really had no clue how I would make this taste like a banana cream pie.  I really wanted to be able to capture the vanilla waffer cookies, the vanilla cream, and the banana (bananas have a tendency to overpower other flavors, just and FYI). So for these, I went semi homemade... Box cake mix (vanilla).  Made the cake according to the directions.  For the frosting I added a ripe banana to a container of store bought vanilla frosting (the amount of banana can be judged by taste).  The vanilla and fresh banana gave the frosting a really smooth flavor with a nice creamy texture.  Once the flavor was right, I crushed vanilla wafers and mixed that into the frosting (again, do this to taste).  Once each cupcake was frosted, I sprinkle the top of each cupcake with the remaining crushed wafers.

For not having a real plan, I have to say these came out better than I thought.  I'm pretty sure our birthday girl liked them, along with my coworkers, as they did not last long in the tray! :) if you love banana cream pie, I recommend you try this super simple additions to store bought products!  

No comments:

Post a Comment